Just Starting Out?
Here's Your Guide to the Career Essentials for the Beginning Writer!
- Build your confidence, choose a career path, set vital goals for your writing, learn more about "getting ideas," and discover the tools necessary to launch your writing career.
Queries, Manuscripts & Market Research
- Learn how to look like a pro before you send out your very first submission. This section will help you find markets, craft queries, and avoid those "newbie mistakes" that can send your submission straight to the rejection pile.
Classes, Conferences & Critiquing
- There's a world of information and support out there - a successful writer is one who never stops learning!
Crafting Your Work & Learning Your Craft
- From the first draft to the final polish, this section walks you through the steps needed to create a saleable manuscript - from grammar tips to outlining to self-editing and proofreading. Skip this step only if you want to skip sales.
Conducting Research & Interviews
- There's an art to "getting the story" - master it and you'll be far more likely to get the check as well.
Cashing in on Writing Contests
- Hundreds of writing contests offer opportunities for writers of all levels and interests to win prizes and build their portfolios.
- There's More to the Writing Business than Writing!
Here's What You Need to Know to Survive in a Sea of Sharks...
Rights & Copyright
- It's vital to know your rights - specifically, what rights you want to sell and what rights you want to keep. Otherwise, you're "chum" in the publishing waters.
Negotiating Contracts, Setting Fees & Getting Paid
- Selling an article or story is just the beginning. Make sure you know what you're giving up, what you're getting - and how to ensure that you get it.
Handling Income & Expenses
- There's a business side to writing; knowing how to keep track of your income and expenses means nothing to fear at tax time.
More Business Stuff: Selling Reprints; Collaboration; Pseudonyms
- Selling your work more than once means extra profit. Working with another writer can also be helpful, if you work out the details in advance. Plus, should you write under your own name or not?
- Here's a look at some technical tools that can help you protect your work.
- Rejection, Writer's Block, Not Enough Time...
Get a Handle on "The Writing Life!"
The Writing Life
- Writers from around the world share their tips on coping with rejection, writer's block, procrastination, and ways to boost creativity. Plus, you'll find tips on healthy writing habits, and ways writers can help writers.
- "If only I had time to write...!" Writing time is never found; it must be made. Find out how to reduce distractions and time-wasters, and get your family "on board" with your writing goals.
- Ramblings on the Writing Life
- You'll find loads of tips and insights into the writing life in my series of Writing-World.com editorials!
- Tell the Tale of Your Dreams:
Tips on Crafting Fabulous Fiction!
Fiction Techniques & Fundamentals
- Get started on your fiction goals with these helpful tips on writing, finding markets, and crafting professional submissions.
Characters & Viewpoint •
Dialogue • Setting & Description
- These three sections bring you a host of tips on how to bring your fiction to life with realistic characters and the perfect locations.
- The Genres: Children's Writing •
Mysteries • Romance •
SF, Fantasy & Horror •
Flash Fiction & More
- Finally, explore dozens of useful articles that will guide you through the intricacies of your favorite genre (or genres)!
- Write for Magazines, Newspapers, and More...
Advice for the Nonfiction Freelancer
Freelancing, Journalism, Columns & Syndication
- Whether you dream of seeing your name in magazines, newspapers, or online publications, this is the section for you. Find out how to break into the markets that offer the best pay and the widest selection of opportunities for writers - including how to get your own column gig!
- Dozens of experts pitch in here with tips on how to break into a host of specialized market areas - some of which you might never have thought of!
Travel Writing & Photography
- Who doesn't want to get paid to travel? Find out how to get started as a professional travel writer - and how to boost your sales with the right kind of photos.
Business, Technical & Scientific Writing
- Writing for businesses can be a fantastic way to pay the bills - and you don't have to be a nerd to get started in technical and scientific writing!
- Writing is a career without boundaries. Find out how to market your material overseas - wherever you happen to live!
- More Opportunities...
Creative Nonfiction, Memoir & Biography
- Looking for a more personal approach to writing? Our section on creative nonfiction covers personal essays, memoirs, biography, autobiography and more.
Poetry & Greeting Cards
- Unleash your inner muse with our experts' tips on poetic forms, markets, and advice on breaking into the greeting card market.
- For those who want to see their name in lights - or at least somewhere in the closing credits...
- So You Want to Publish a Book...
- We're a bit old-fashioned here - we believe that writers ought to get paid to publish a book. Here's a host of tips on how to find a "real" publisher (one who pays you and can get your book out to thousands of readers) and/or an agent.
Self-Publishing, Electronic Publishing, POD & Subsidy Publishing
- However, if you want to "do it yourself," do yourself a favor and read these tips first - it's called "look before you leap"!
Book Promotion Tips, Book Reviews & Press Releases
- Publishing a book is just the beginning; find out how to get the word out and generate sales!
Blogging, Social Media, & Author Websites
- Get the word out online - through the venues that will be most effective for your work.
Media, Public Speaking & Booksignings
- Sometimes there's no substitute for spreading the word in person. Speaking engagements and classes can not only promote your work but make you extra money in the process!
Download Our Free Writing Planner!|
Plan your projects, organize your to-do lists, record your achievements, schedule your tasks, and track billable hours with our free planner designed specifically for writers! We know that writers don't keep regular "business hours," so our planner is designed to help you schedule your writing tasks around your hours. We also know how important it is to remind yourself of how much you've achieved as a writer, so our planner includes sections to record achievements, keep track of upcoming tasks, schedule deadlines and more. And, as always, we've included a host of inspirational quotes to help keep you motivated!
Download The Writer's Year 2018 FREE in PDF or Excel format, along with our free submission tracker:
Or get it in print from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.ca!
Who We Are...|
Hosted by writer/editor Moira Allen, Writing-World.com has been one of the web's leading "go-to" sites for writers since 2000! Whether you're just starting out, or an experienced pro seeking new opportunities, you'll find help in these pages.
Writing-World.com brings you over 1000 articles by experts from around the world, on nearly every aspect of writing and publishing. You'll find tips on crafting and marketing your fiction, nonfiction, essays, poetry, memoir, technical and trade pieces, screenplays and more. Our business sections offer guidance on such all-important issues as rights, copyright, negotiating contracts, and making sure you get paid. Our publishing sections cover traditional, "DIY" and electronic publishing. You'll also find sections on promoting your work and your "brand," through traditional and social media venues.
Use the navigation menu in the left column to discover our world of content, use the "search" box to look for a specific topic - or go to the Master Article Index to see it all at a glance. If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to
*Unless you're asking about sending us a "blog post." We're not a blog, we don't accept blog posts, and we're closed to submissions. Rule #1 about freelance writing: Know your market!