Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
LINKS: Business & Financial Resources
Contracts · Finances & Taxes · Postage · Setting Fees
- 10 Key Negotiating Points in an Author-Publisher Agreement
- Articles About Contracts, by Ivan Hoffman
- More than 20 excellent articles on various aspects of contracts for writers and publishers.
- The Book Editor Contract , by Ivan Hoffman
- Read this before hiring an editor for your manuscript -- or before deciding to BECOME an editor.
- Findlaw's Find a Lawyer
- A place to search for copyright and contract lawyers.
- The Ghostwriter Agreement , by Ivan Hoffman
- Whether you're thinking of becoming a ghostwriter, or hiring one, read this first!
- Journalist Electronic Rights Negotiation Strategies
- National Writers Union
- Organization focusing on rights and related issues. Documents on various topics, including rights and copyrights, can be found at http://www.nwu.org/docs/dochome.htm
- Royalty Calculations in Book Contracts
- Tara K. Harper FAQ: Contracts
- Discussion of the meaning of various contract terms, and how to negotiate them.
- Trade Book Publishing Agreement Checklist
- A good overview of items commonly found in a book publishing agreement.
- Voluntary Lawyers for the Arts
- This organization can help with legal issues relating to art and intellectual property.
- Book Editor Contract
- Sample contract and tips for working with an independent book editor.
- Model Contracts
- Model contracts for author/agent, anthology, hardcover, magazine, paperback, and web publishing.
- Sample Author Collaboration Agreement
- A useful contract sample if you wish to collaborate on a writing project.
- Canada Post
- Canadian postage rates and other information.
- U.S. Postal Service Stamp Store
- Order U.S. postage in any denomination, from anywhere in the world. (Ideal for writers outside the U.S. who need postage for a SASE from the U.S.) Small shipping charges apply (higher for international orders).
- U.S. Postal Service Zip Code Lookup
- Find a zip code for any location in the U.S.
- Yahoo! Postal Information
- International postal rates and post codes.
Setting Fees and Getting Paid
- Editorial Photographers
- Information on how to price and sell your photos, plus market information, trade groups and more.
- Putting a Price on Your Capabilities: How to Set Your Fees as a Freelance Writer
- How to set fees based on your expenses, cost of living, etc.
- Find out how much you should be earning, based on your job title/description and region. Select a location, then a job category, e.g., "Printing and Publishing." Then click on "Advanced job title search" and type in a title (e.g., writer or editor). You'll get a list of categories to choose from; select the title that applies to you.
- Sample Collection Letters
- Letters to use when attempting to collect payment from a client.
- What to Pay a Writer
- A good overview of freelance fees and rates for such jobs as advertising, business writing, editing, ghostwriting, magazine writing, technical writing, translation, and more. Rates are listed in Canadian dollars but are still applicable to U.S. writers. (Scroll down to locate the link to this and other interesting articles.)
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Check Our Other Link Sections:|
· Totally Awesome BLOGS
· Book Promotion Resources
· Book Publishers (lists)
· Business, Finance & Taxes; Setting Fees
· Business & Technical Writing
· Character Naming Resources
· Children's Writing
· Christian Writing
· Classes, Conferences & Colonies
· Contest Resources
· Critique and Discussion Groups
· Dictionaries, Glossaries & Language Resources
· E-publishing Information
· Essays, Memoirs and Personal Journaling
· "Just for Fun" Sites
· Grants and Funding Organizations
· Market Guides and Guideline Databases
· Horror Writing
· Job Sources
· Magazines, Newspapers and Electronic Media
· Mystery Writing
· Organizations for Writers
· Prompts, Exercises & Idea Generators
· Publications for Writers
· Rights, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues
· Romance and Historical Fiction
· Scams, Warnings, Viruses & Hoaxes
· Science Fiction & Fantasy
· Social Media, Blogging and Website Development
· Travel Writing
· Writing Sites
· Young Writers' Resources
Copyright © 2017 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor