Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
Getting Started: Launching Your Writing Career
Articles may be listed in more than one category.
If the "Return to [Menu]" link doesn't take you back to where you started, simply use your browser's "back" button!
- Begin at the Beginning...
What Is a Writer? - Moira Allen
A Beginner's Guide to Writing Terminology - Dawn Copeman
How to Read 'How To Write' Books, by Sean McLachlan
How to Sit Down and Write an Article - Dawn Copeman
Learning the Craft - Dawn Copeman
Self-Belief: The Vital Ingredient - Dawn Copeman
Should You Write for Free? - Moira Allen
When Procrastination is a Good Thing - Barbara Florio Graham
- Choosing a Career Path
Should You Specialize or Generalize? - Moira Allen
Take Your Specialty for a Spin - Moira Allen
What Kind of Writer Do You Want to Be? - Terje Johansen
- Setting Writing Goals
Planning Your Writing Career - Dawn Copeman
Setting Effective Writing Goals - Moira Allen
Goals Are Worthless If... - Brian Jud
- Finding Ideas
Five Unusual Places to Look for Article Ideas - Chryselle D'Silva Dias
Where Oh Where Are All the Good Article Ideas? - Patricia Fry
- Should You Quit Your Day Job?
Balancing Act: Ten Reasons to Keep Your Day Job - Denene Brox
Making the Leap from a "Real Job" to Freelancing - Kathy Sena
To Plunge or Not to Plunge? - Moira Allen
Fifty Tips on Taking the Plunge - Moira Allen
Ready to Quit Your Day Job? - Hasmita Chander
To Job or Not To Job: A Writer's Question - Antonio Graceffo
- Moving On...
- For more information on getting started, visit these helpful sections:
- Classes, Critiques, Conferences & Networking
- Build your writing skills through classes, critique groups, and other opportunities; find out how to network for more help and information.
- Queries, Submissions and Market Research
- When to query instead of submitting a complete article; how to craft a query; crafting e-mail queries; formatting submissions; locating market information and choosing appropriate markets.
- Honing Your Craft
- Tips on building your article or story; editing and polishing your work; structural issues that can make or break a sale; grammar tips.
- Research & Interviews
- Good research and effective interviews can make the difference between a sale and a rejection; find out how to locate experts, get the right interviews, and gather information.
- Rights & Copyright
- What every writer needs to understand about print rights, electronic rights, copyright, and whether publishers will "steal" your work.
- The Business of Writing
- Your job doesn't end when the article goes out the door; find out what you need to know about tracking income and expenses; handling contracts and payments; taxes; and tracking submissions.
- The Writing Life
- Learn how to cope with rejection and the many other frustrations of the writing life; plus, tips on healthy writing habits; how to jump-start the creative process; how to write when you're not in the mood.
(Yep, these are affiliate links - use them to help support Writing-World.com!)
Copyright © 2018 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor