Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
LINKS: Dictionaries, Glossaries, & Language Resources
General References · International · Topical Glossaries · Translation · Look Up a Word
See also: Links to Grammar Resources
- 100 Best Online Dictionaries
- Here's a great place to start looking for dictionaries - it has a variety of English dictionaries, including British English, Australian, various types of slang, etc., plus a host of specialized glossaries.
- A variety of dictionary and language tools.
- Offers a "dictionary, thesaurus, literature refernece library and search engine all in one." Also offers a script that enables you to include a dictionary search box on your own website.
- Merriam-Webster Online: Language Center
- If your dictionary isn't handy, look up words on this site -- and find out when a word first (officially) entered the English language.
- One could spend a lot of time on this site. Type in a word, and not only will you receive definitions, you'll also receive information on films and music containing the word, links to Google books online involving the word, and links to other information sites (such as Wikipedia) that offer more information. The associations from this site could be extremely useful when conducting research.
- One-Look Dictionaries
- Hundreds of links to a wide range of dictionaries and glossaries. Offers "lookup" search function. Probably the best-known dictionary site online.
- Search for synonyms, antonyms, or word categories; look up words, place names, biblical names and zip codes; enjoy daily crosswords and word search puzzles; translate text and web pages.
- Wordsmyth: The Educational Dictionary/Thesaurus
- World Wide Words
- Devoted to the English language -- its history, quirks, curiosities and evolution. Includes Weird Words, topical words, definitions, usage, phrases, and more.
- Aboriginal Languages of Australia
- Links to grammars, dictionaries and other resources relating to the non-English languages spoken in Australia (such as Kamilaroi, Ayapathu and Jingulu), plus topics like "Bush Food and Medicine" and more.
- Links to a host of international language resources.
- On-Line Dictionaries and Glossaries
- Links to dictionaries in more than 60 language groups and categories, from Afrikaans to Zulu (and including artificial languages and multilingual dictionaries).
- Verbix Online Conjugator
- Conjugate verbs in a host of languages, modern and ancient (including Old Saxon, Proto-Indo-European, Swahile, and dozens more.)
- Look up words through the search function, or browse articles on translation and language issues, or explore the more than 230 international language dictionaries and glossaries (including multilingual dictionaries and endangered languages).
Topical and Specialized Glossaries
- Search for acronyms and abbreviations, or browse by category (e.g., computers, science, food, games, international, etc. -- 117 categories in all).
- Acronym Finder
- Look up 60,000 acronyms/abbreviations and their meanings.
- Antique Words, by C. J. Cherryh
- A list of words that were commonly used prior to the 1900's; useful if you'd like to avoid anachronistic phrases in your historical fiction.
- Biographical Dictionary
- A dictionary covering "more than 20,000 notable men and women who have shaped our world from ancient times to the present day."
- Castle Terms
- Cliché Finder
- An interesting resource that enables you to search for "clichés" by keyword (e.g., a search on "cat" provides such gems as "Busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouseholes").
- Dictionary of Slang
- DOD Dictionary of Military Terms
- Easton's Bible Dictionary
- Expressions and Sayings
- A huge collection of the origins of words, phrases and expressions. Of course, there is always considerable debate over the origins of many popular expressions, but this offers a good summary of more generally accepted definitions.
- Feudal Terms of England
- Glossary of Grammatical Terms
- Glossary of Internet Terms
- Not current, but still useful.
- Glossary of Poetic Terms
- An excellent dictionary of poetic terms.
- Glossary of Poetic Terms
- A fascinating collection of terms, from acatalectic to zeugma.
- Hellatine Dictionary of Bureaucratese
- An entertaining collection of made-up words (e.g., "abrevision = work made worse by revision"). No longer being maintained.
- How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement
- Interjections by Language
- Dictionary of financial and investment terms.
- "A dictionary of over 140,000 medical, pharmaceutical, biomedical & healthcare acronyms and abbreviations. Plus medical news and searches for the medical, pharmaceutical or healthcare professional."
- Netlingo: The Internet Dictionary
- The Omnificent English Dictionary In Limerick Form
- An effort to define every word in the English language with a limerick; currently up to "ba"! Definitely a site by, and for, people with way too much time in their hands.
- Semantic Rhyming Dictionary
- Look up rhymes by sound, number of syllables, and preferred meaning.
- Smith's Bible Dictionary
- "SYMBOLS.com contains more than 2,500 Western signs, arranged into 54 groups according to their graphic characteristics. In 1,600 articles their histories, uses, and meanings are thoroughly discussed. The signs range from ideograms carved in mammoth teeth by Cro-Magnon men, to hobo signs and subway graffiti."
- Twists, Slugs and Roscoes: A Glossary of Hardboiled Slang
- A fun guide to "detective" and police slang, especially of the 20's, 30's and 40's.
- Here's a handy site to translate texts into and out of English, from a handful of major languages (including Spanish, French, and German). It isn't perfect, but it is enough to help you make sense of a letter, even if all the words aren't properly translated or translated at all; I wouldn't suggest it for trying to convert your own work to another language.
- Offers a variety of free translation interfaces.
- A wealth of resources to help one learn languages or find publications in different languages, links to international language resources and sites in various languages, and translators.
- International database of translators available in multiple languages. Listings of translation jobs and translation projects. Free translation services. Tools for translators, translation agencies and translation outsourcers. Free Registration.
- Translator's Home Companion
- "A focal point of information about resources available on the Internet and elsewhere for translators, interpreters, and all those interested in the arts and crafts of foreign languages." Includes news, library catalogs, databases, directories of translators, translation agencies and organizations, dictionaries, localization/globalization information, and more.
Look up a word!
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Check Our Other Link Sections:|
· Totally Awesome BLOGS
· Book Promotion Resources
· Book Publishers (lists)
· Business, Finance & Taxes; Setting Fees
· Business & Technical Writing
· Character Naming Resources
· Children's Writing
· Christian Writing
· Classes, Conferences & Colonies
· Contest Resources
· Critique and Discussion Groups
· Dictionaries, Glossaries & Language Resources
· E-publishing Information
· Essays, Memoirs and Personal Journaling
· "Just for Fun" Sites
· Grants and Funding Organizations
· Market Guides and Guideline Databases
· Horror Writing
· Job Sources
· Magazines, Newspapers and Electronic Media
· Mystery Writing
· Organizations for Writers
· Prompts, Exercises & Idea Generators
· Publications for Writers
· Rights, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues
· Romance and Historical Fiction
· Scams, Warnings, Viruses & Hoaxes
· Science Fiction & Fantasy
· Social Media, Blogging and Website Development
· Travel Writing
· Writing Sites
· Young Writers' Resources
Copyright © 2018 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor