Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
LINKS: Mystery Writing Resources
- Blood at the Source: Research Tips for Mystery Writers
- Tips on using libraries and the Internet for mystery research.
- Crime Magazine
- "Crime Magazine is about true crime: organized crime, celebrity crime, serial killers, corruption, sex crimes, capital punishment, prisons, assassinations, justice issues, crime books, crime films and crime studies."
- Crime Thru Time
- A site dedicated to historical mysteries; unfortunately it is no longer being maintained and is up for sale, but it still has a lot of useful content.
- Crime Writers Association
- British mystery writers' organization; includes extensive list of author-member websites.
- Crime Writers of Canada
- Firearms Tutorial
- Don't put the wrong weapon in the wrong hands! This tutorial is designed to give you a working knowledge of the types of firearms, the types of ammunition used, the nature of injuries that can be produced in the body, and much more.
- Forensic Science Technician
- Though this site is primarily designed to list all the forensic science degree programs in the US, the list of links to blogs and other resources provides a great starting point for forensic research.
- Guide to Lock Picking
- Includes tools, exercises, models, and a chapter on "advanced lock picking."
- A site dedicated to "cozy" mysteries, with articles and lots of good links.
- Though designed more for readers than for writers, this site offers information on upcoming mystery events, games, chats, and other resources.
- Mystery Writer's Forum
- Discussion forums for mystery writers.
- Public Safety Writers Association
- The organization is open to writers who are members of the public safety family -- police officers, civilian police personnel, firefighters, fire support personnel, emergency personnel, security personnel, others in the public safety field as well as those who write about public safety issues.
- Sisters in Crime
- Membership: writers, fans, editors, booksellers, etc. Working to "combat discrimination against women in the mystery field." Benefits: writers' resources, member links, bookseller information, local chapters, a catalogue of member's writing, etc.
- "Twenty rules for writing detective stories"
- This article, originally published in American Magazine in 1928, is still fun to read, even if modern detective stories seem to have forgotten most of these "rules"!
- Twists, Slugs and Roscoes: A Glossary of Hardboiled Slang
- A fun guide to "detective" and police slang, especially of the 20's, 30's and 40's.
- Women of Mystery
- The list of topics covered by this blog must be seen to be believed. It covers writing, reading, true-life crime and much more.
- Zeno's Forensic Page
- Huge list of links to resources on forensic science, medicine, and psychiatry. Includes links to forums, journals, laboratories, associations, universities, employment opportunities, discussion lists, and lots more.
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Check Our Other Link Sections:|
· Totally Awesome BLOGS
· Book Promotion Resources
· Book Publishers (lists)
· Business, Finance & Taxes; Setting Fees
· Business & Technical Writing
· Character Naming Resources
· Children's Writing
· Christian Writing
· Classes, Conferences & Colonies
· Contest Resources
· Critique and Discussion Groups
· Dictionaries, Glossaries & Language Resources
· E-publishing Information
· Essays, Memoirs and Personal Journaling
· "Just for Fun" Sites
· Grants and Funding Organizations
· Market Guides and Guideline Databases
· Horror Writing
· Job Sources
· Magazines, Newspapers and Electronic Media
· Mystery Writing
· Organizations for Writers
· Prompts, Exercises & Idea Generators
· Publications for Writers
· Rights, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues
· Romance and Historical Fiction
· Scams, Warnings, Viruses & Hoaxes
· Science Fiction & Fantasy
· Social Media, Blogging and Website Development
· Travel Writing
· Writing Sites
· Young Writers' Resources
Copyright © 2017 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor