Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
LINKS: Character Naming Resources
- 20,000 Names
- African Names
- BabyCenter: Baby Name Search
- Searchable by name, type of name, country, or meaning. (Slow.)
- Another extensive collection of names and meanings, from a variety of cultures.
- Baby Name Genie
- If you're absolutely stuck trying to generate names for your characters, try this "genie," which will come up with a first and middle name based on the last name that you provide. (Great if you think "Layton Chad" would be a good name for a baby... or a character...)
- Baby Names List
- An extensive resource of over 25,000 given names,
including their meanings, categorized by origin/culture or by ABC.
We also offer an advanced search option, and a name suggestion tool.
- Baby Name Network
- Baby Names of Asia and the Pacific
- Baby Names of Ireland
- Lists of names, some with meanings and some without, from around the world. Some of the lists look good; others have some rather dubious entries. Still, a lot of info here!
- Behind the Name
- History and etymology of first names from around the world, including Biblical names.
- Biblical Baby Names
- Biblical Names for Baby
- Biblical Names, List of
- This list is taken from Hitchcock's New and Complete Analysis of the Holy Bible by Roswell D. Hitchcock, New York: A. J. Johnson, 1874, c1869. NOTE: I've reviewed a number of Biblical name lists, and have found that meanings given in this particular work do not always agree with many other lists, so I'd recommend cross-referencing.
- Cal Poly Pomona Asian Name Pronunciation Guide
- A guide to pronouncing Asian names from various cultures, with links to other pronunciation guides.
- Chinese Names
- This site enables you to generate Chinese names based on desired characteristics, and gives links to other good name and language sites.
- Cool Baby Names
- This site has a number of interesting categories in which to search, such as Biblical names, Shakespearian names, flowers and plants, colors, animals and birds, etc.
- European and Arab first names
- Name collection with emphasis on European and Arab first names. Presently offers only an extensive list of names; promises eventually to expand into a database that lists the country and meaning behind each name.
- Indian Baby Names
- Indian Baby Names and Their Meanings
- Irish Names
- Nearly two million names and over 45,000 meanings and histories.
- Medieval Names Archive: English, Old English, and Anglo-Norman Names
- Excellent lists of names and articles on names from a variety of periods; well-researched and definitive.
- Medieval Names Archive: Names from Other Countries
- Names and articles on names from cultures and periods around the world.
- The Name Machine
- Ranks the popularity of names over the past 100 years.
- Names and their meanings from a variety of cultures; Biblical names; and "most popular" names for boys and girls.
- Quick Baby Names
- 20,000 searchable baby names and their meanings, with
popularity charts based on US statistics, and "a nifty little name
"filter" that makes choosing a baby name a whole lot easier."
- SCA College of Arms - Name Articles
- The Society for Creative Anachronism's page on names, naming, names by culture, names by history, and much more.
- Sikh Names and Their Meaning
- I like the way this site is set up to let you search by country of origin (first place I've seen with Aztec names!). You have to click on a link to get the meaning for each name, and not all names include meanings (again, see the Aztec list), but very useful overall.
- Think Baby Names
- Resource on names for writers. Provides the meaning, origin, history, religious significance, and popularity of first names.
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Check Our Other Link Sections:|
· Totally Awesome BLOGS
· Book Promotion Resources
· Book Publishers (lists)
· Business, Finance & Taxes; Setting Fees
· Business & Technical Writing
· Character Naming Resources
· Children's Writing
· Christian Writing
· Classes, Conferences & Colonies
· Contest Resources
· Critique and Discussion Groups
· Dictionaries, Glossaries & Language Resources
· E-publishing Information
· Essays, Memoirs and Personal Journaling
· "Just for Fun" Sites
· Grants and Funding Organizations
· Market Guides and Guideline Databases
· Horror Writing
· Job Sources
· Magazines, Newspapers and Electronic Media
· Mystery Writing
· Organizations for Writers
· Prompts, Exercises & Idea Generators
· Publications for Writers
· Rights, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues
· Romance and Historical Fiction
· Scams, Warnings, Viruses & Hoaxes
· Science Fiction & Fantasy
· Social Media, Blogging and Website Development
· Travel Writing
· Writing Sites
· Young Writers' Resources
(Yep, these are affiliate links - use them to help support Writing-World.com!)
Copyright © 2018 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor