Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
LINKS: Grammar Resources
Grammar Sites · Style Guides, References and Research Papers · Online Books and Style Guides
See also: Links to Dictionaries, Glossaries, & Language Resources
- Bacon Punctuation
- Here's a delightful infographic providing a sentence about bacon to illustrate every aspect of English punctuation! The site has several other useful grammar infographics as well.
- Common Errors in English Usage
- An ongoing list of common errors in word choice, spelling, usage, etc.
- Daily Grammar
- Sign up for an e-mailed grammar lesson for five days of the week, with a quiz the sixth.
- English Practice
- A good selection of short "lessons" on various grammatical topics (e.g., why adjectives are usede in a particular order).
- Garbl's Writing Center
- Grammar and Style Notes
- An English professor's "miscellany of grammatical rules and explanations, comments on style, and suggestions on usage."
- Grammar and Usage for the Non-Expert
- This site offers a free grammar checker (with the goal of getting you to pay for their "deep checker"), a nice blog on grammatical topics, and lots of cool infographics.
- Grammarly Handbook
- A huge guide to grammar, along with an online grammar checker.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Basic grammar tips, hotline, interactive quizzes, quotes, links, FAQ, more.
- Interesting Things for ESL Students
- The grammar and word-games pages may be of interest to any writer.
- Linguistic Fun Page
- Links to amusing and helpful references on grammatical use and misuse, such as misquoted quotes, funny translation errors, "The Book of Cliches," and more.
- On Line English Grammar
- Tips, exercises, a "grammar clinic," and practice pages.
- Pain in the English
- This is an interesting and entertaining site that offers not only basic grammar advice, but discussions on why certain words and phrases are used, and a host of other topics. It covers word coinage, word history, expressions, grammar, punctuation and mechanics, style, usage, and an intriguing section on "opinions." Information and opinions are contributed by a number of participants, which offers a variety of viewpoints; one can pose questions on these various topics to the "group."
- Readibility Test Tool
- Discover the "reading ease" level of your prose based on several readability indices on this interesting site.
- Rules for Using a Comma
- If you're wondering whether to put that, comma, in or leave it, out, check out this page!
- Lots of articles here on various grammatical issues.
- The Self-Editing Blog, by John Marlow
- One of the clearest and most readable selections of editing, grammar and usage tips that I've come across in a long time. It has some great articles on "using the wrong word" that I wish some of my favorite authors (or at least their copyeditors) had read.
- The Tongue Untied
- Grammar and punctuation can be dull subjects -- so I'm always delighted to find a site or blog that makes them fun and interesting. This blog combines serious how-to (or rather, how-to-avoid-mistakes) pieces with entertaining essays, poems and more.
Style Guides, References and Research Papers
- If you're like me, writing bibliographies for a book or research
paper is perhaps one of your least favorite tasks. Enter BibMe, an
intriguing site where you can automatically generate bibliography
entries! You can have the site look up a book for you and create
an entry, or manually enter the information, then just cut and
paste the results.
- Essay Writing Resources
- Though aimed primarily at students, this site has a wealth of information on how to research, organize and write essays and various types of papers.
- MLA Style Guide
- This site explains how to format works according to the standard, generally accepted MLA style, including how to cite references both within the text and in one's bibliography. Worth a look as citation rules have changed in the Internet age.
- Online Guide to Writing and Research
- An online book about how to write effectively; aimed primarily toward academic writing.
- University of Kansas Writing Guide
- Links to a variety of writing resources, with an emphasis on scholarly/academic writing.
- UVic Writer's Guide
- Designed primarily to assist in writing essays and papers, this site contains many useful tips on style, presentation, organization, and similar topics.
Online Books and Style Guides
- Home of a number of classic grammar, writing and style books.
- Bartlett's Quotations
- Chicago Manual of Style
- Elements of Style
- The King's English
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Check Our Other Link Sections:|
· Totally Awesome BLOGS
· Book Promotion Resources
· Book Publishers (lists)
· Business, Finance & Taxes; Setting Fees
· Business & Technical Writing
· Character Naming Resources
· Children's Writing
· Christian Writing
· Classes, Conferences & Colonies
· Contest Resources
· Critique and Discussion Groups
· Dictionaries, Glossaries & Language Resources
· E-publishing Information
· Essays, Memoirs and Personal Journaling
· "Just for Fun" Sites
· Grants and Funding Organizations
· Market Guides and Guideline Databases
· Horror Writing
· Job Sources
· Magazines, Newspapers and Electronic Media
· Mystery Writing
· Organizations for Writers
· Prompts, Exercises & Idea Generators
· Publications for Writers
· Rights, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues
· Romance and Historical Fiction
· Scams, Warnings, Viruses & Hoaxes
· Science Fiction & Fantasy
· Social Media, Blogging and Website Development
· Travel Writing
· Writing Sites
· Young Writers' Resources
(Yep, these are affiliate links - use them to help support Writing-World.com!)
Copyright © 2017 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor