Queries & Manuscripts
Classes & Conferences
Crafting Your Work
The Writing Business
Income & Expenses
Setting Fees/Getting Paid
Rights & Copyright
The Writing Life
The Writing Life
Health & Safety
Column: Ramblings on the Writing Life
Fiction Writing - General
Characters & Viewpoint
Setting & Description
Column: Crafting Fabulous Fiction
Fiction Writing - Genres
SF, Fantasy & Horror
Flash Fiction & More
Columns & Syndication
Poetry & Greeting Cards
POD & Subsidy Publishing
General Promotion Tips
Articles in Translation
This free script provided by
LINKS: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writing Resources
General Resources · Articles · Authors · Critique, Discussion & Workshops · Markets · Misc · Publications
See also Writing-World.com's links to:
Horror Writing Resources ·
Critique and Discussion Groups
- Critters - Resources
- Lots of links of interest to writers of SF/Fantasy, and critiquers.
- Forward Motion Random Idea Generator
- Excellent story prompts for speculative fiction writers.
- Index to Science Fiction Anthologies & Collections
- Database of SF short stories, searchable by author, title, magazine, date.
- JVJ's SF Links
- No longer updated, but offering good links to articles on writing SF, market guidelines, and manuscript preparation.
- Ralan Conley's Webstravaganza
- Markets, links, articles, and more.
- Science Fiction Awards Database
- This site lists all the major SF awards, as well as regional, academic, fan, reader, and genre awards. Each listing provides such information as winners, nominees, categories, and an award overview.
- Carl Brandon Society
- "The mission of the Carl Brandon Society is to increase racial and ethnic diversity in the production of and audience for speculative fiction."
- Horror Writers Association
- Criteria for full membership: a novel or three short stories sold to professional markets. Member benefits: monthly market newsletter, member only anthologies, meetings at World Horror Conventions, regional meetings, chat rooms, newsgroups, etc.
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA)
- SF Canada
- "SF Canada is a bilingual association of Canadian writers, artists and other professionals working in the fields of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Speculative fiction."
- A Way with Worlds: World Creation Column, by Steven Savage
- 56 columns on world-building.
- The Long Hard Odds: A Few Hints on Getting that First Horror Novel Published
- Don't be fooled by the title; has useful tips on publishing F/SF as well.
- On Thud and Blunder, by Poul Anderson
- One of the classics, pointing out the difference between fantasy and reality (e.g., can you really hack off heads with a 50-pound sword?)
- SFWA Articles on Writing
- Uncle Orson's Writing Class
- Lots of writing articles by Orson Scott Card.
- World Building
Several excellent articles from FictionFactor authors/editors.
- Worldbuilding Tips from the UK Editor of The Martian
- Lengthy article drawing mainly on movies and TV with excellent tips on worldbuilding and pitfalls to avoid.
- SF SITE Links to Author and Fan sites
- Links to a number of SF author sites.
- Writer's Net
- Browse for authors by category, or alphabetically under "published writers."
Critique and Discussion Groups, Workshops
- Clarion Writer's Workshop
- The first in the highly regarded Clarion family of workshops for sf/fantasy writers.
- Clarion West Writer's Workshop
- Critters Workshop
- This highly recommended workshop focuses primarily on speculative fiction (though it offers other workshops as well). The site offers sample critiques, tips on critiquing and participating in a group, and market information (including the "Black Hole" page that lists response times for speculative fiction markets). Considered a "high-intensity" group with high workload demands.
- Odyssey Fantasy Writing Workshop
- A residential workshop that offers instruction and guest lectures from well-known speculative fiction authors. Website also offers a variety of writing tips, articles and resources.
- Online Writing Workshop for Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
- Online critique workshop; charges annual fee.
- Quantum Muse
- A SF/fantasy zine and online writer's group; stories selected from the group are published in the zine. Members must critique to earn submission credits to be critiqued. Includes messaging system to discuss critiques and a forum for general discussion.
- See also Writing-World.com's links to:
- Critique and Discussion Groups
- Aswiebe's Market List
- A regularly updated market list of speculative fiction markets - with a wonderful list of pending anthologies, something hard to find in other market resources.
- Ralan Conley's SpecFic Webstravaganza
- 3-D StarMaps
- Find out where different star systems are located, their distances from one another, and more -- or create maps of your own systems. (Maps of Star Trek systems also included.) Very technical, but fun.
- Chronos: The Future of Time Travel
- Billed as "the ultimate guide to time travel, teleportation, temporal phasing, and other applications of nine-dimensional theory," this site apparently takes itself seriously -- but does offer a wealth of information on time travel theory.
- All about science fiction haiku.
- Online version of the major trade publication for the SF publishing industry.
- Vision for Writers
- Discontinued e-magazine; its archives offer a wealth of information for writers.
Didn't Find What You Were Looking For? Check Our Other Link Sections:|
· Totally Awesome BLOGS
· Book Promotion Resources
· Book Publishers (lists)
· Business, Finance & Taxes; Setting Fees
· Business & Technical Writing
· Character Naming Resources
· Children's Writing
· Christian Writing
· Classes, Conferences & Colonies
· Contest Resources
· Critique and Discussion Groups
· Dictionaries, Glossaries & Language Resources
· E-publishing Information
· Essays, Memoirs and Personal Journaling
· "Just for Fun" Sites
· Grants and Funding Organizations
· Market Guides and Guideline Databases
· Horror Writing
· Job Sources
· Magazines, Newspapers and Electronic Media
· Mystery Writing
· Organizations for Writers
· Prompts, Exercises & Idea Generators
· Publications for Writers
· Rights, Copyright, and Other Legal Issues
· Romance and Historical Fiction
· Scams, Warnings, Viruses & Hoaxes
· Science Fiction & Fantasy
· Social Media, Blogging and Website Development
· Travel Writing
· Writing Sites
· Young Writers' Resources
(Yep, these are affiliate links - use them to help support Writing-World.com!)
Copyright © 2017 by Moira Allen. All rights reserved.
All materials on this site are the property of their authors and may not be reprinted
without the author's written permission, unless otherwise indicated.
For more information please contact
Moira Allen, Editor